Sunday, May 1, 2011

Whose Reality Is It Anyway? (commentary)

Whose Reality Is It Anyway?
by John Trent

Good morning to all,
It’s a beautiful, cool morning.  Golden rays reach up through the trees to touch the bluest of blue skies.  A peace has descended upon my spirit as I listen to nature’s holy symphony.  It is my reality, but sometimes our realities are significantly more challenging.

Of the many religions and philosophies I have studied, I have found more similarities than differences between the four largest religions; Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism.   As I face and address my own daily challenges of life, I was reminded of Buddha’s Five Remembrances. 

Thich Nhat Hanh wrote, “When you deny the reality of life, you appreciate it less.  Meditate on the Buddha's Five Remembrances and rediscover the magic of life just as it is.
·         I am of the nature to grow old.  There is no way to escape growing old.
·         I am of the nature to have ill health.  There is no way to escape ill health.
·         I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.
·         All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change.
·         There is no way to escape being separated from them.
My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.”

As we learn to focus on accepting our reality, we are moved to appreciate the mystery of life and the mystery of God.  In John 3:20, he wrote, “But anyone working and living in truth and reality welcomes God-light so the work can be seen for the God-work it is."  In essence, the more we accept our reality, the more opportunity you have to strengthen your relationship with our creator.

In closing, our respective realities are defined by its owner.  We are unique, so we have unique thoughts and feelings.  We can allow others to burden us with theirs or influence our own if we choose.  So, if we wish to develop a personal relationship with God and achieve happiness, we must learn to ignore life’s static and see truth in front of us.

May God bless each of you and have a wonderful day, John

No comments:

Post a Comment