Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Art of Boredom (commentary)

The Art of Boredom
by John D. Trent

Good morning friends and family,
It's about 46 F, overcast, and drizzling in Savannah this morning.  The forecast calls for much of the same throughout the day.  Now, some folks might become agitated, as weather conditions will interfere with today's events; however, I would like to offer a simple solution..... today is a great day to practice being bored.

With all of the "white noise" of our modern world.......our work, running here and there, this club, and that association, we have forgotten the simplistic art of being bored.   We have been desensitized to accept today's hyper-drive environment and the idea that we must constantly be doing something, even if its not work related.  More, more, more is the mantra for our times.

Now, I'm not suggesting we quit our jobs, go meditate on a tree stump and become hermits in the mountains; though, it does sounds rather appealing some days!  However, what I am saying is that we all should slow down and learn to appreciate the simplicity of each present moment we're granted.

Lao Tzu said, "In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present."   Wow.....  In family, be completely present.   I think back to the days when I was so busy with clubs, kids sports, business, associations, and others expectations that I was unable to be "completely present" in anything, especially my family and friends.

Over the last couple of years, I have slowly extricated myself from many of the self-inflicted expectations of "belonging" and have moved towards being in "the present"; thus allowing me to truly appreciate "the art of being bored".  I promise, the more you practice, the more you will realize you're not bored.....you're content and at peace.

Have a great day and much love to all

No comments:

Post a Comment