Friday, April 15, 2011

Parenthood (commentary)

Parenthood
by John Trent

"Yes, to be a good parent, you have to sacrifice, but this is not a requirement of parenting, it is a requirement of being good at something." ~Robert Brault

This morning, we had a beautiful thunderstorm. Brilliant flashes, ebbs and flows of rain upon my tin roof, and the newly leaved trees swaying and rejoicing to the music of the wind, it was a grand show from the safety of my porch.

Last night, my baby girl, Kaitlyn, modeled her dress for Senior Prom. OMG!!!! My baby is no longer a baby. At 18, she has transformed from this tiny toddler to this intelligent and beautiful young woman. Ever-so radiant, she illuminated the room with her smile and grace. This is my child; yet now, this is my adult child.

Like the storm this morning, being a parent has its ups and downs, ebbs and flows. We are destined to fail and succeed, for we are imperfect. As I reflect back upon my life and the trials of parenthood, there are certainly many times of "I should have, could have or would have" done things differently; but.... I'm glad I didn't.

Through all of their scrapes and bruises, our disagreements and tears, we grew....we grew together. Thus, as I type this today, I am better prepared as a father of adult children with a very special bond. A bond that remains stronger than ever. A bond that says......."We did our best" and tomorrow, our love will be stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment