Sunday, April 3, 2011

Remember When

Remember When
By John Trent

From my perch, the silver hues glistens
A summer’s dew rests upon the bladed lawn
Young violets and dandelions burst with color
And contrast the sheen from the night's humid darkness

I hurry downstairs to feel its wonderful wetness
A cool watery heaven to be soon between my toes
So pristine, I survey, forever blazed in my memory
Then feel its splenor surround my youthful feet

Carpeted and soft, the thick grass so lush
Slowly I walk as my eyes cast about
Dew drops drip from flowered pedals of gold
As cut green blades cover the tops of my feet

I run across this shimmering brightness
With arms outstretched, I begin to take flight
Higher and higher, I can see outer space
Then I notice a rock, odd shaped and brown

I run to the door, moisture drips from my legs
Mother hands me a towel, probably the same as last
I show her my rock , she says “what a exquisite find”
And I run up the stairs to continue to play

Years have past since I looked on from this perch
The same silvery hues glisten and shimmer below.
Tiny footprints meander, exposing grayish-green blades
As violets and dandelions still brighten the morn

From the doorway below, Nana gives each a towel
And proclaims with joy, “what an exquisite find”
Though nothing can bring back those hours of splendor,
Smiling, I know, my children, have experienced their own

No comments:

Post a Comment